Girl Baby Name

Cheyanne

Rating :Excellent
4.5 / 5
22 Times rated
Add to My Favorites

Quick Facts on Cheyanne

  • Gender:
  • Girl
  • Origin:
  • American
  • Number of syllables:
  • 2
  • Ranking popularity:
  • 970
Pronunciation:
SHY-ann
Simple meaning:
Speaks incoherently

Characteristics of Cheyanne

  • Communicative
  • Creative
  • Optimistic
  • Popular
  • Social
  • Dramatic
  • Happy

Etymology & Historical Origin - Cheyanne

Depending on how you choose to look at it, Cheyanne is either a misspelling of Cheyenne (the name of a Native American Indian tribe) or it’s a phonetically feminized repurposing of Cheyenne (with the more girly “-anne” suffix). Cheyenne itself (as a girl’s name) is a modern coinage taken from the Indian nation that once inhabited the area between the Missouri and Arkansas rivers in the Great Plains. The word “Cheyenne” is French Canadian, originating from Sioux Dakota word “šahíyena” meaning “speak incoherently” from the elements “ša” (red) and “ya” (speak). The Dakotas considered their own Sioux-based language clear and understandable (i.e., “white talkers”); but the Algonquian-based language of the Cheyenne was unintelligible and alien sounding (hence “red talkers”). The Cheyennes were one of the most prominently famous of all the Great Plains nations and were closely allied with the Lakotas to the east and the Arapahos to the south. As time went on, the Cheyenne people were eventually pushed more northwest (Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas). In fact, the state capital of Wyoming is named after the Cheyenne Indians. As with the popularity of Dakota for little girls, Cheyenne is another Native-American inspired name which gained a large following in the 1990s. Due to Cheyenne’s success as a baby girl’s name in America, the misspellings/respellings of Cheyanne and Shyanne emerged as alternate variations. As a personal name derived from a proper name, however, it may be best to spell Cheyenne correctly or you run the risk of looking silly. It would be akin to spelling Dakota DaKotah.

Popularity of the Name Cheyanne

Cheyanne first appeared on the American female naming charts in 1991, coinciding with the rising popularity of Cheyenne. In fact, Cheyenne even managed to achieve Top 100 status between 1994 and 2000. As it turns out, these were the most popular years for Cheyanne, as well. Basically, Cheyanne has been riding the coattails of Cheyenne since her debut on the charts (just to a much, much lesser extent). Statistically speaking, 80% of parents who opt for this name will spell it correctly, while the other 20% will spell it “incoherently”. Perhaps that’s the greatest irony of all.
Popularity of the Girl Name Cheyanne
You need Adobe Flash Player 6 (or above) to view the charts. It is a free and lightweight installation from Adobe.com. Please click here to install the same.

Cultural References to the Baby Name - Cheyanne

  • Literary Characters of the baby name Cheyanne

    Literary Characters of the Baby Name Cheyanne

    Cheyanne We cannot find any significant literary characters with the first name Cheyanne.

  • Popular Songs on Cheyanne

    Popular Songs on Cheyanne

    Cheyanne - We cannot find any popular or well-known songs featuring the name Cheyanne.

  • Children's Books on the Baby Name Cheyanne

    Children's Books on the Baby Name Cheyanne

    Cheyanne - We cannot find any children’s books featuring a character named Cheyanne.

  • Famous People Named Cheyanne

    Famous People Named Cheyanne

    Famous People Named Cheyanne - We cannot find any celebrities or significantly famous people with the first name Cheyanne.

  • Children of Famous People Named Cheyanne

    Children of Famous People Named Cheyanne

    Famous People Who Named Their Daughter Cheyanne - We cannot find any celebrities or famous people who have named their child Cheyanne.

  • Historic Figures

    Cheyanne - Girl Baby Name - Historic Figures

    Cheyanne - We cannot find any historically significant people with the first name Cheyanne.

Personality of the Girl Name Cheyanne

The Three energy is powerful and enthusiastic. These personalities are cheerful, full of self-expression, and often quite emotional. They have an artistic flair and "gift-of-gab" that makes them natural entertainers. Their joyfulness bubbles over, and their infectious exuberance draws a crowd. The Three personality is like a child - forever young and full of delight. They are charming, witty, and generally happy people. The Three personality lives in the "now" and has a spontaneous nature. Threes seem to live with a bright and seemingly unbreakable aura that attracts others to them. In turn, they are deeply loyal and loving to their friends and family. Luck also has a tendency to favor number Threes.

Variations of the Baby Name - Cheyanne

Copyright © 2016 Oh Baby! Names