Girl Baby Name

Jocelynn

Rating :Excellent
4.5 / 5
9 Times rated
Add to My Favorites

Quick Facts on Jocelynn

  • Gender:
  • Girl
  • Origin:
  • American, English
  • Number of syllables:
  • 3
  • Ranking popularity:
  • 801
Pronunciation:
JAH-sә-lin or JOSS-lin
Simple meaning:
To pour, flowing water

Characteristics of Jocelynn

  • Authoritative
  • Powerful
  • Tough
  • Tenacious
  • Wealthy
  • Problem-solver
  • Achiever

Etymology & Historical Origin - Jocelynn

Jocelynn is merely Jocelyn with an additional “n” tacked on to the end. The name Jocelyn comes to us as the transferred use of a surname brought to England by way of the Norman Conquest in the 11th century. It started out as an Old French masculine given name, Joscelin, which was modeled after an old Germanic tribe from present-day southern Sweden and northern Europe, the Gauts/Geats (often referred to as the Goths). Originating from what is still the Swedish province of Götaland, the Geats are the same people who populate the Olde English epic poem: Beowulf. The etymology of the word Gaut is derived from the common Germanic word “geutan” (Gautar in Old Norse) meaning “to pour, flowing water” (probably having to do with Götaland’s Northern European position surrounded by water). In any case, the name was used mainly for males until modern times when the application shifted to females. Now that Jocelyn is a Top 100 female name in the United States, Americans perform their usual spelling alterations. Joslyn, Joselyn and Jocelynn are modern examples of the classic Jocelyn.

Popularity of the Name Jocelynn

The name Jocelyn goes back to 1927 on the American female naming charts; Jocelynn only appeared on the Top 1000 list for the first time in 2007. As it so happens, 2007 marks the year when Jocelyn was at the top of her game in terms of usage (ranked #50 nationwide). It’s no surprise that a few alterations of the name showed up to join in on the fun. Jocelynn with two “n”s is actually the least preferred spelling of the four currently in rotation. 70% of parents will opt for the classical spelling anyway, while the remaining 30% will choose some other mutation. Jocelynn is a pretty new spelling and not very common. All girls with this name should start practicing the following phrase: “My name is Jocelynn. That’s Jocelyn with two n’s” – because they’ll be saying that for the rest of their lives. A minor nuisance to some, but a huge annoyance to others. Just something to consider when you opt for these non-traditional spellings. In any case, Jocelyn, with her “Gothic” origins, imbues a sense of dark romance and mystery.
Popularity of the Girl Name Jocelynn
You need Adobe Flash Player 6 (or above) to view the charts. It is a free and lightweight installation from Adobe.com. Please click here to install the same.

Cultural References to the Baby Name - Jocelynn

  • Literary Characters of the baby name Jocelynn

    Literary Characters of the Baby Name Jocelynn

    Jocelynn We cannot find any significant literary characters with the first name Jocelynn.

  • Popular Songs on Jocelynn

    Popular Songs on Jocelynn

    Jocelynn - We cannot find any popular or well-known songs featuring the name Jocelynn.

  • Children's Books on the Baby Name Jocelynn

    Children's Books on the Baby Name Jocelynn

    Jocelynn - We cannot find any children’s books featuring a character named Jocelynn.

  • Famous People Named Jocelynn

    Famous People Named Jocelynn

    Famous People Named Jocelynn - We cannot find any celebrities or significantly famous people with the first name Jocelynn.

  • Children of Famous People Named Jocelynn

    Children of Famous People Named Jocelynn

    Famous People Who Named Their Daughter Jocelynn - We cannot find any celebrities or famous people who have named their child Jocelynn.

  • Historic Figures

    Jocelynn - Girl Baby Name - Historic Figures

    Jocelynn - We cannot find any historically significant people with the first name Jocelynn.

Personality of the Girl Name Jocelynn

The number Eight personality has everything to do with power, wealth and abundance. Somehow, this personality has been blessed on the material plane, but their authoritative and problem-solving traits provide evidence that their good fortunes are not just the luck of the lottery. They are well earned. This is the personality of CEOs and high-ranking military personnel. Eights are intensely active, hard-driving individuals. Success is only meaningful to them after a job well-done.  They are remarkable in their ability to see the larger picture right down to the smallest details, and organize a strategy around success. They then have the ability to direct a group around them toward any goal, and realize individual potential to get the most out of their team.

Variations of the Baby Name - Jocelynn

Copyright © 2016 Oh Baby! Names